ZILVEREN AMSTERDAM SIERADEN
Cart 0

De Echte WearHouses

De WearHouses bedels zijn allemaal gebaseerd op bestaande Amsterdamse grachtenhuizen. Hieronder de geschiedenis van deze stuk voor stuk parels van grachtenhuizen.

 

        Keizersgracht 37/Anno 1620

This merchant house was built before 1620 by a man called Jacobsz Oets. In 1725 Claes Jansz Clopper purchased the house. He made his fortune during the Golden Age by being a succesful tradeshipowner. He gave this house its current name, De Hoop, The Hope, just like the house next to it on number 35. This house was also owned by the Clopper family. He had the house on number 35 built around 1631 and later decided he wanted to own the house on 37 as well. Most likely they needed the space as these canal houses are both very narrow. 

 

        Herengracht 402/Anno 1665

Pieter Hochnius was its first owner and had this merchant house build in 1665. The house has  a classical Dutch neckgable. What is special about this house is that it has a Rococo style stoop with harp (like the musical instrument) style bars. Only a few of those stylish stoops have remained in Amsterdam. 

 

        Keizersgracht 207/Anno 1755

This merchant house bears the name de Lindenboom ( Lime-Tree) because this kind of tree originally grew beautifully infront of the house. Seventeen rows of lime-trees used to grow along this Canal. It was considered a very fancy tree in those days because of its elegance. However those trees were not really thriving in the wet Dutch climate. Later the more sturdy Dutch Elm trees were planted along the canal. Jan du Pive was the first owner of the house and had it build in 1755. 

 

        Keizersgracht 716/Anno 1671

The first owner of this house was a Carpenter. That is why the house is named; In de Krol, which translates as woodchip or woodshaving. It was very common in those days that the self possesed trades and handcrafts were being referred to by naming the building or house after it. What is special about this house is that it still has the original shop attached to right side of the house. Usually corner houses had these little extra workspaces for trades such as a bakeries, laundry works and taverns. The clock gable of this house is also very nice.  

 

       Herengracht 497

Kattenkabinet/ Cat Cabinet. By the size of this merchant house, build in 1665, you can tell a very well to do family had it built. It is 14,58 meters wide. Which is considered big in those days (and still today) for Amsterdam standards. Only the very very rich merchants could afford so much land to build a house on the waterfront of the canals. Mister Joan Corver was the first owner. But the house had also a very famous habitant in those days, Nicolaas Witsen, and he had quite a career. Over 13 times he was the mayor of Amsterdam between 1682 and 1706.  In 1693 he became the executive director of the world's first trading company the VOC. The cornice at the top of the house was a true status symbol in that era.  After World War 2, between 1945 and 1950, the building was used by the Dutch Instute of Wardocumentation.  

 

       Herengracht 168/Anno 1638 't Witte Huys

Amsterdam has its own White House. This is the name of this fancy merchant house because of the use of light colored sandstone. Michiel Pauw, a very adventurous man, had it build in 1638. He was one of the first settlers in the New world. In 1630 he was able to obtain land over there and named it Pavonia. Which is a referral to his family name. These days it is the area, near New York city, between Hoboken and Hudson county in New Jersey, where there is a Pavonia street. Mister Pauw was also one of the founders of another big Golden Age trading company, the W.I.C. They were the settlers of Fort Amsterdam which is now Manhattan. The architect of this White House was Philip Vingboons. This man designed and helped built most of the merchant houses along the 17th century Amsterdam canals. Originally this house had a stepped gable but the Pauw family had it changed into a more classier and fancier gable with their family weapon on it. Two peacocks as Pauw is the Dutch word for these elegant almost royal birds. Much later the weapon of Amsterdam was put on the topfront of this beautiful merchant house. 

<